SENIOR SOCIAL WORKER – LMSW or LCSW
QUEENS SUPERVISED RELEASE PROGRAM
Location: Queens (Long Island City) Hours: TBD
Salary: $60,000’s Status: Full Time
The Criminal Justice Agency (CJA), a non-profit organization under contract with the City of New York to provide pre-trial and research services to the courts, operates a Supervised Release Program in Queens Criminal Court.
The program, which operates during the day and night court in Queens, screens targeted defendants for release at criminal court arraignment, subject to specific conditions including maintaining face-to-face and telephone contact with the program, participating in a an assessment process to identify needs such as substance abuse and mental health, and agreeing to program monitoring of court appearances and re-arrests.
This is a great opportunity for a dynamic, knowledgeable individual, experienced in dealing with high-needs populations such as those with mental health diagnoses, at-risk youth, and others with social, emotional or developmental challenges, who have criminal court involvement.
- Conduct psycho-social assessments and diagnoses for new intakes to the program
- Manage and provide counseling and case management to targeted caseloads of adults and adolescents who are living with serious mental illness (SMI) and substance abuse disorders (SUD) including treatment planning and referrals
- Perform comprehensive screening using evidence based tools to effectuate referrals to mental health or substance abuse facilities and accompany and/or arrange transportation for clients to facilities when necessary
- Maintain regular face-to-face and telephone contact with participants
- Conduct community visits as needed to better serve individual clients
- Maintain communication with defense attorneys and referral agencies until completion of reporting responsibilities
- Update computerized case management files with notes and attendance records
- Appear and advocate in court regarding clients’ compliance as necessary
- LMSW or LMHC required, with + 3 years of related experience working with SMI or SUD adults and adolescents for external candidates
- LMSW or LMHC required, with at least 1 year of related experience working with SMI or SUD adults and adolescents for internal candidates
- Knowledge of NYC Court operations, preferred
- LCSW, a plus
The successful candidate will possess a combination of the following knowledge, skills, and experiences:
- Experience providing therapeutic services to mentally ill populations and adolescents
- Familiarity with the Alternative to Detention (ATD), Alternative to Incarceration (ATI) or other advocacy program models
- Knowledge of treatment programs (substance abuse, mental health, etc.) and other support services (GED, job training, YIP, etc.) for referrals
- Ability to exercise sound and quick judgment
- Excellent communication and writing skills
- Excellent time management skills
- Computer literacy with the ability to quickly adapt to changing technology
- Must be willing to work evening and weekend hours, if needed
- Knowledge of Evidence Based Practice techniques including but not limited to Motivational Interviewing, Seeking Safety, DBT, CBT
- Experience documenting client progress in an Electronic Medical Record System.
- Willingness and ability to travel within the 5 boroughs
- Bilingual, a plus
BENEFITS: CJA offers a very generous benefit plan including health, dental and vision insurance, four weeks’ vacation, paid holidays and a retirement plan with employer matching contributions.
Application Deadline: October 10, 2018
NOTE: Only those candidates being considered will be contacted. No phone calls please.
The New York City Criminal Justice Agency is an Equal Opportunity Employer